Sleek Hair Style
Submit a photo of your hairstyle here.
This particular sleek hair style uses the flat iron to create shiny, straight hair that gently rounds under at the ends around your face.
- A ceramic flat iron, such as the GHD or Sedu
- Optional: A Heat Protector for your hair, such as GHD Thermal Protector
- Wash hair.
- Towel dry so that hair is damp.
- Spray hair with a heat protector such as GHD Thermal protector. The GHD heats to over 212 degrees, so if you are worried about damage, use a heat protector.
Make sure hair is completely blown dry. Any dampness will cause your hair to burn and you will see steam or “smoke” as you straighten. As you blow dry your hair, point the dryer down (NOT UP) on your hair shaft. Blow drying up the hair shaft towards your roots will cause a frayed look to your hair.
Part your hair on one side.
If your hair is thick or unruly, section off your hair by tying back sections up and out of your way. Straighten one section at a time and then move on to the next section.
Place the flat iron towards the roots of the hair and clamp down gently on a 1 inch section of hair. Smooth the iron down the hair shaft about 3/4 of the way down. Do not clamp down too hard on the flat iron, just gently glide the iron over your hair. After you are 3/4 of the way down the hair shaft, gently start to turn the flat iron under by rotating your hand towards you. This action will turn the ends under.
Notice how her wrist has turned (picture above) and she is directing the hair to turn under.
Continue to straighten and turn under all of your hair. If your hair is already fairly straight, you can take bigger chunks of hair than 1 inch sections.
If your hair is extremely curly:
- Don't take very big chunks of hair because you want the heat to reach all parts of your hair evenly so there are no curls left.
- To create sleek hair, run a fine-tooth comb ahead of the flat iron (with your free hand) so that your hair is already pulled straight as the iron slides down your hair.
- Use a 1 1/2 inch flat iron instead of the 1 inch iron to speed up the time it takes to do your hair.
Return to Sedu Hairstyles
Return from Sleek Hair Style to Hairstyles Teacher Home