Tips for Creating Shiny Hair
Submit a photo of your hairstyle here.
Hair looking a little dry and dull? To create shiny hair - skip on washing it.
"Don't wash my hair?"
Yes. Dryness of hair and skin is very common during the change of seasons and can prevent shiny hair. To counteract this, don't wash your hair every day but try every other day. If your hair is long, it is especially important to not wash daily, as you want to let the oils from your scalp travel down the hair shaft.
If you must wash daily because of excessive perspiration or oil, apply conditioner to the ends of your hair, and shampoo to the roots at the same time, and rinse them both out together.
Other things you can do to assure shiny hair:
- Use Ken Paves color drops or clip-in hair extensions to add shine to your hair: New Boost Up color drops are like cosmetics for your hair! Free samples at ShopKenPaves.com - CLICK HERE
- Brush your hair daily with a brush that has natural bristles (like boar bristles). This will redistribute the oils throughout your hair as you brush it.
- Alcohol is a very drying substance - both internally and externally. Therefore, do not use products on your hair that have alcohol in them. A good line of products that does not have alcohol in them is Aveda's shine enhancing products. -- Oh, and need I even say - drinking alcohol will also dry your hair out - and your skin, and your liver.....
- Get regular haircuts - every 6-8 weeks. When you cut off a frayed and split end of your hair, you prevent it from spreading upward and affecting the entire strand of hair. Regular trims cut off the damage so hair is healthier, and thus appears healthier.
- Use deep conditioning or hot oil treatments once per week.
- Use a silicone shine serum.
- Use ionic dryers and irons. These tools smooth the cuticles with negative ions creating a smooth, shiny appearance to your hair.
- Color your hair. The color "beefs up" the hair shaft and smooths out the cuticle adding shine.
- Rinse with cold water. This closes the cuticle of the hair so that it appears smoother and shinier.
- Tips for blow-drying - End your blow-drying session by turning the setting on your dryer to cold. Blow dry with the dryer pointing down on the hair shaft. Blow drying up, or upside down may add more body to your hair, but it will upset the hair cuticles and hair won't appear as shiny.
Things you can do internally to have sleek, shiny hair:
- To make sure you are getting enough "good" oils internally to make your hair have a lustrous sheen, don't skip on the fish.
Fish, almonds, and walnuts contain Omega 3 fatty acids. These are needed to have beautiful hair and skin. If these are foods you don't normally eat, take them as a supplement in pill form.
You can get Fish oil pills, or liquid cod liver oil at your local health food store. By doing this, you will find that your skin will also improve, as well as your mental health. Fish oils are known to combat depression, anxiety and learning disorders.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water per day - not soft drinks or coffee. Drinks with caffeine are very drying to your hair and skin and will take the shine out.
- Keep your body healthy. Regular exercise and sleep keeps your body healthy, and a healthy body equals great looking skin and hair.
Return from Shiny Hair to Hair Tips
Return from Shiny Hair to Hairstyles Teacher Home