Did you look great at a formal event? Submit a hairstyle photo here.
This half updo hairstyle is the perfect look for prom, weddings or other special events when you want to wear some of your hair down but still have a formal look. This style utilizes the popular "bump" on the top of the head which adds height and sophistication to your style. There are 3 ways you can create this look:
- By extensive back-combing - This is not my favorite option since you can damage your hair, and it is hard to create a perfectly round "bump".
- By using "Bump Its" hair accessory - This is also not my favorite option since you still need to back-comb extensively to effectively hide the Bump Its, or have thick hair to make it work.
- By using Bump Up the Volume clip-in hair extensions - This is my favorite option because the bump is extremely easy to make, requires no back-combing, and adds volume and length to your hair.
I'll explain how to style your hair using the extensions, but if you choose to not purchase the hair extensions, you can create the bump by back-combing as explained on this page: bouffant hair.
- Bump Up the Volume clip-in hair extensions
- A barrette -If you are using this style for a formal occasion, get a beautiful barrette to complement your outfit.
- A curling iron
- A fine-tooth comb
- Setting spray - to hold your style in place once you are done
Hair Preparation - Make sure that your hair is clean, completely dry and free of tangles. If you have naturally curly hair and want the look you see above, first straighten your hair by round-brushing it straight with your blow dryer. If you decide to use a flat iron, it may be hard to then curl the hair after having used a flat iron. For women with extremely curly hair, this shouldn't be a problem.
Part your hair about a half inch behind the bangs line from ear to ear. If you don't have bangs, the placement is about 1/2 way back to the top of your head. Clip this hair up and out of the way.
Make another part about 1/4 inch back from this line and flip this hair forward. Place the Bump Up the Volume extension on the top of your head and clip it in. Make a "bump" by pushing the bottom of the extension up and towards the top of your head. Clip the bottom of the extension at the height you want your hair. Flip your natural hair back over the extension's "bump". You may need some hairspray to make the hair that is flipped over your extension stay put.
If you don't have Bump Up the Volume Hair extensions, follow the directions in bouffant hair
to create the bump.
Remove the clip from the hair in the front. Make a side part and pull this hair from both sides of the head to the back. Secure with the barrette. If your bangs do not reach to the back, spray with hairspray or secure with an attractive clip or barrette.
Curl the hair hanging out of the barrette, as well as the back of your hair in spiral curls. We chose to do a loose spiral curl by moving the curling iron down the hair shaft fast. If you want a tighter spiral curl, just hold the iron in place longer as you move it down the hair shaft.
Spray your half updo with hairspray to hold your style.
Return from Half Updo to Prom Hairstyles
Return from Half Updo to Hairstyles Teacher Home