Submit a photo of your updo hairstyle here.
This curly updo is a classy style and easy to do yourself. It looks great on naturally curly hair or straight hair that has been curled.
- Bobby pins the shade of your hair
- Jaw clip
- Optional: Curling iron, ceramic, rounded barrel flat iron, or hot rollers (One of these options to curl your hair if it is not naturally curly)
Hair preparation: Start with a clean head of hair. If your hair is not already curly, or if it is curly and you simply want a more "defined" looking curl, you have three options:
- Curling Hair With Flat Iron - With a high heat, ceramic, and rounded barrel flat iron, you can create gorgeous curls!
- Curling Hair - This link explains how to curl your hair with hot rollers.
- The curls in the pictures shown on this page were done using the Spiral Curls technique with a small barrel curling iron.
Pull the sides of your hair up and back as if you were going to hold them back with a barrette. Instead of using a barrette, take your jaw clip and let the jaws of the clip grab both sides together under the hair.
Let the hair fall over the jaw clip. This is what your style should look like:
Take the hair from below and twist it. Bring the ends of the twist up and under the hair that lays over the jaw clip.
Bobby pin the twist in place up and under the hair held by the jaw clip.
To bobby-pin this hair effectively: Take your bobby-pin and grab some of the hair that is taut with your head and a little of the hair that is in the twist.
As you push the bobby pin into the twist, turn the bobby pin either up or down to effectively "grab" the hair and hold the twist in place.
Do this with as many bobby pins as needed to secure the twist.
This curly updo is a great time saver when you want to look classy but are short on time. Here is what the style should look like from the front, sides and back. Leave some tendrils of hair down around your face if desired.
Return to Easy Hairstyles
Return from Curly Updo to Hairstyles Teacher Home