This bridal hairstyle is a great option for weddings or prom because:
- The curls gently cascading down the sides of the face are very flattering to most women and the style looks great in pictures.
- You can have your hair up and out of the way so dancing or sweating will have little effect on the hairstyle.
- If you are short, it adds an inch or so of height, so this will also help to lengthen you out for pictures.
- If you can find a friend who can french braid hair well, you can do this hairstyle yourself and skip the expensive stylist.
Directions to this style:
If you tried this style, or have another great bridal style, submit a photo here.
- One elastic ponytail holder
- Bobby pins the shade of your hair color
- A small barrel curling iron
- Small tooth comb
As mentioned above, it is probably easiest to have someone else do the braiding part for this style, as you have to french braid upside down.
It is easiest to sit in a chair and then lean over with your head in between your legs so that all of the hair falls forward. Then, have the braider section off 3 sections of hair starting at the nape of the neck.
Now simply french braid the hair up the back of the head until you reach the top of the head (pictures below):
Click here for more specific directions on how to french braid
Once the braid reaches the top of the head, place the rest of the hair in a ponytail on top of your head.
Curl all of the hair coming out of the ponytail in spiral curls with the small barrel curling iron. Click here for directions on how to spiral curl your hair.
Pin various curls with your bobby pins in the center of each curl around the perimeter of the ponytail holder. This is done to secure and steady the curls and to hide the ponytail holder. Make sure that you dart the bobby pins under the surface of the hair so that they do not show.
If you have bangs, style them. We prefer to have them straight and swooped over to the side for a contemporary look. If you have a flat iron, it works best to run the flat iron over the bangs directing them to one side of your head.
But, if you only have a curling iron, you can achieve the same effect by simply running the curling iron over your hair and to the side of your head. Do not roll the curling iron up, or you will get a tight curl. See pictures below:
Here is the finished product: (option: scatter jewels or tiny flowers in the hair for formal events)
Try on various bridal hairstyles to see what works best for you:
Return from Bridal Hairstyle to Braided Hairstyles
Return from Bridal Hairstyle to Wedding Hair Styles
Return to Hairstyles-Teacher Home