The braided ponytail is a perfect option for:
- Keeping the hair up and out of the way.
- If the hair hanging out of the ponytail is in need of styling, the braid allows you to look well-groomed without having to curl or straighten the ponytail.
- This style allows you to add olive oil or deep conditioning treatment to the ends of your hair - so that you can look great all day while deep conditioning.
- This style looks great under hats and bandannas
Submit a photo of your ponytail hairstyle here.
- 2 elastic ponytail holders - Make sure that they are coated so that they do not rip and damage your hair. Also - it helps if they match in color and if one is larger than the other. The smaller holder will hold the braid towards the ends of your hair.
- Brush or wide-tooth comb
- Optional: Setting Spray for extra hold
Gently pull all of the hair into a ponytail wherever you would like the ponytail and braid placed. The options are a high ponytail, mid-ponytail, low ponytail or side ponytail. Secure with the larger elastic ponytail holder. In the picture below, we decided to do a high ponytail. If you would like more specific instructions on how to put your hair in a ponytail, click how to ponytail.
Divide the hair coming out of the ponytail into 3 equal sections.
Cross the right strand over the middle strand.
Cross the left strand over the new middle strand.
Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you run out of hair.
Secure the braid with the smaller elastic ponytail holder.
Thin Hair - If your hair is thin, try using a ponytail hair extension to make your braid thicker.
Return from Braided Ponytail to Ponytail Hairstyles
Return from Braided Ponytail to Hairstyles Teacher Home